Well, wouldn't you know, when a toe-up pattern says to cast off LOOSELY, they really mean it. They mean it like, GO TWO NEEDLE SIZES LARGER cast off. I danced around the kitchen, carrying my socks and shouting for joy (like we all do when we finish a pair of socks) and then promptly sat down to try them on. The silence must have alerted my hubby because he asked, "Uh oh. What's wrong."
"THIS!" I screamed. The cuff was cast-off too tight and wouldn't go over my heel.

Then, he said, "Here. Let me try."
I ran away.
This is a man who thinks that smelling like motor oil and wearing Carhardt pants around the house is totally normal.
Anyway, he encouraged me more, "You can do it. Just stretch them out."
"I'M TRYING!!! MOTHER-%$#(*@"
Guess who won. Me. That's who. The socks will never prevail. NEVER.

I have to give credit where credit is due. SPORT WEIGHT YARN. fast fast fast.
SPECS:
Pattern: Hearts for Heidi (find it over at the Loopy Ewe)
Yarn: White Oak Studio's TVyarn Fat Sock in "Happy Valentine's Day, Charlie Brown"
Needles: oddly enough, each sock was on a different size. . . I can't really tell a difference but I won't go into that now.
GOOD LUCK ON FINISHING YOUR FEB.
Wait 'til you see my March socks. They are gonna be fabulous.
2 comments:
I know a great cast off for toe up socks: Knit two, transfer the stitches back to the left needle and knit 2 together, knit 1, transfer back to left needle, knit 2 together. It is called the Russian Bind Off and I learned it from: http://wendyknits.net/archives/1397
Give it a try next time!
Heh, Rani. I knit my first Sooper Seekrit like that (incidentally, the same socks I knit for you, but with a plain ole' cast off). It's waiting to be undone and cast-off again. I saw a knitted cast off that's supposed to be stretchy, but I'm liking the one Lorraine suggested as well! Such a learning experience!
Post a Comment