Thursday, May 1, 2008

April socks in under the deadline - really!


I did manage to finish these socks last weekend. But since it was SNOWING (grrr!) all weekend, the photographs didn't get taken then.

I made these spring anklets from some leftover Knit Picks Dancing Sock Yarn (discontinued). It is an interesting yarn, in that is is a 41% cotton/39%wool/13% nylon and 7% elastic yarn. I love it for summer socks because it is much cooler than the typical wool sock yarns. It also was dyed in such a way that the colors neither flash nor pool. As far as the durability, the socks I own made from this yarn still look like new and they never seem to stretch out or get floppy. On the other hand, it does have a bit harder texture, due to the tight twist and high cotton/nylon content, making it a bit less pleasant to knit with than pure merino. The results, however, make it worthwhile to put up with the harsh hand of the yarn.

I used a modified version of Broadripple or Briple as one friend calls this pattern. Ostensibly, these socks are supposed to symbolize flowers reflected in a rippling puddle. At least, that was what was in my head as I picked the pattern and started knitting. I decided to give the picot hem another try (I've never been able to make one work before) on the top of these summer anklets and I am thrilled that the tip someone gave me to use smaller needles worked.

All in all, a pretty successful April Showers Sock, I think.

1 comment:

Rani said...

They're darling. I like the water-color hue - very soft and springtimey.